Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Beauty's Going Green

I recently wrapped up an internship at SELF magazine. I worked on the 2009 Healthy Beauty Awards, which will appear in the May issue. (Make sure you check it out!)

While there, I had to work with hundreds of products--hair, bath, body, makeup, etc. I also had to unpack and unwrap a lot of those products and WOW, talk about a lot of trash. So while reading SELF's beauty blog, I was pretty excited to hear about beauty companies starting to turn green.

First, they started with the packaging. Thank goodness! Check out the hot new trends in beauty packaging (and hopefully packaging everywhere!) here. Be gone, stupid Styrofoam peanuts!

And wait before you toss out that old lipstick tube! They've even started recycling the actual packaging! MAC, Aveda and Bond No 9 have started a green movement, and I hope everyone picks up on it! Read Ale's post here about how to help reduce beauty's carbon footprint by recycling plastic and glass. And if you read more about it on the companies' Web sites, you may find way to score free stuff. Reduce pollution and score free makeup? Not a bad way to start your day.

No comments: