Saturday, February 28, 2009

Burn Calories, Burn!

My ex-boyfriend would be proud of me. For the past two weeks, I've been going to the gym at least every other day. Today (SATURDAY) I was on the elliptical for over 2.5 miles! (How long that took is another story, but one feat at a time, thanks.) I'm so glad the apartment complex has a decent gym. Take that, stupid $60 gym memberships!

Anyways, since I've been working out, I thought I 'd share this interesting tidbit I learned from Glamour's health and fitness blog Vitamin G. Apparently, different workouts (ie. running, swimming, etc.) lead to different cravings. Personally I don't crave much of anything after working out except water, but that could be connected to my choice of exercise, according to this post. I generally pick a treadmill over running outside, and supposedly, treadmill lovers are more likely to experience appetite suppression. Wacky, huh?

But if you're more of a swimmer, or a swimmer in cold water, you end up craving foods higher in fat. If you're an outside runner, expect to crave fruit and high-water foods. Now I'm not big on swimming in cold water nor running, so if you are, does this resemble your post-workout craving?

You can read more about the study conducted at Loughborough University here.

2 comments:

Cookie said...

Your ex would be proud of you... and so would Mike ;)

Pie said...

Aww, Mike. I miss staring at him while pretending to workout. Haha!