Friday, April 3, 2009

I Want to Smell Like a Tar Heel!

I’ve been meaning to post about this forever, but I suppose now is a great time with it being March Madness and UNC in the FINAL FOUR!

Masik is a fairly new fragrance company that just can’t leave its college years behind. So what’s their solution? Collegiate perfumes and colognes! So far only UNC-Chapel Hill and Penn State have fragrances, but they have a bunch of other colleges smells on the way.

So how does one create the essence of a college in a bottle? At Masik, they consider school colors, mascot spirit, traditions and history, landmarks and architectural style, campus trees and flowers, mission statements, college town character, and themes in the alma mater and fight songs. Strange to think those things matter when making a scent, but according to them:

“Of the five senses, only our sense of smell is linked directly to the brain’s limbic system or emotional control center. Because of this link, a particular scent or fragrance can evoke memories and emotions before we are even consciously aware of them.”

So what are the deets? A 3.4 oz bottle of UNC-CH’s women perfume costs $60. (Yikes, someone buy it for me?) You can buy it on their Web site or UNC Student Stores or Johnny T-Shirt in Chapel Hill or a few random other places. (And to be honest, I don’t care much about the other scents or where you can buy them.)

Crazy, right? Do you want to smell like your college? Because I kind of want to see what Carolina smells like…

2 comments:

Loopaleep said...

Wow, this is weird. Who is buying this crap? I know if I bought AU perfume it would smell like a gay Jew. I wonder what Duke smells like?

Pie said...

@Sarah: Thanks for visiting and glad you enjoy the blog! Please do keep visiting!

@Isaiah: It's kind of cool though. That's just wrong to bring up Dook like that though. I imagine it has a very nasty smell though.

I imagine Carolina smells like a winner though! GO UNC!