Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Very Poor Choice

If you haven’t noticed, I’m pretty interested in magazines. When I was younger, I read all the teen magazines: Teen, CosmoGIRL!, YM, Seventeen and others. (Sadly, I just missed the Sassy era.) Now that I’m older, I read Glamour, SELF (love it!), Cosmo, Shape, Fitness, O The Oprah Magazine, People, Real Simple and pretty much whatever else I can get my hands on. Makes sense, right? As I get older, my interests shift, which I imagine is the same for the rest of these magazines’ audiences.

So then why is Miley Cyrus on the cover of Glamour?! I feel confident in saying that this 16-year-old does not have the same interests as me. I’m a 20-something-year-old. What about your older readers, Glamour? People claims it’s "pretty cool" for her to land her first women’s magazine cover at 16. Is it really? I say no.

The cover story is titled "America’s Most Famous Girl Grows Up," but I nor TheFrisky.com are buying it. Don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against Miley. In fact, I think she belongs on the cover of Seventeen. And when she reaches her 20s, then by all means, have her on the cover of Glamour. Maybe by then she’ll have grown up a bit more.

Right now her "life-changing" relationship was her first "real" relationship at age 13 with Nick Jonas. Well, maybe I’m wrong, but I imagine anyone’s first real relationship is life changing because well…. it’s your first even if it was "hard core". But hey, her life is moving at a higher speed than most people. They don’t have their first life-changing relationship until they’re 19 or 20, she claims. It gets better though. Next she goes on about her new boyfriend Justin Gaston:

“The best thing that’s happened to me in a long, long time has been meeting Justin [Gaston]," she moons. "He’s the most respectful and selfless person I’ve ever known.”

A long, long time? Let’s see, dated Nick Jonas at 13 for two years. Now she’s 15. Just turned 16 in November. How long exactly would you consider "a long, long time" to be?

I realize she’s promoting her new movie, Hannah Montana: The Movie, which is after all rated G. But Glamour, I know you can do better than this. Even Whitney Port, Cosmopolitan’s choice for May (not a strong cover either, but oh well) would have been a better choice.

Thia makes me a little sad inside.

2 comments:

Cookie said...

What bothers me the most is that NO 16 YEAR OLD GIRL belongs on the cover of Glamour, which is a magazine for WOMEN. I can't think of a single woman my age who actually likes Miley. Is the editor-in-chief so out of touch with her publics that she thought this was a good idea? This doesn't bode well for the future of the magazine.

Pie said...

Exactly. It's really sad. Although there are women our age who like Miley. I hope this isn't one of those cases where Seventeen is read by 12-yr-olds and Glamour will now be read by 17-year-olds. What will we read???

This really makes me sad.