Monday, April 20, 2009

Media-Go-Round Spinoff

Wow, I've really dropped the ball on posting, huh? Well, you can take it two ways: you can be angry at me for not posting because I've been busy or you can be happy because I'm starting to have a life again. Anyways, on top of not posting, I've also forgotten to do a Media-Go-Round post for the past two weeks. But I hope you've kept up with it on your own. Anyways, I thought I just share a few things I found interesting.

- I got my first Mine magazine. First, they didn't even get my magazine choices correct. Lame, right? Although they did apologize and extend my subscription with another issue. I also now have the secrets to Tiger Woods' swing, which I wouldn't have if the switch up didn't happen. Second, I'm going to have to say I wasn't impressed. It was a really flimsy magazine with maybe one or two articles from each magazine. (Faithful readers, remember the post about dressing for your size, and I said it was probably from Glamour? I was wrong. It was from In Style, and I just re-read the article in Mine.) On the up side, it makes for good gym reading material, and I was one of the 31,000 to get a print copy. Want to read more about it? Click here.

- There's been a lot of magazines crossing the line when it comes to ads and articles. Some magazines are getting called out by ASME. (That's the American Society of Magazine Editors, if you didn't know.) This is how ASME explains itself and it's decisions. I kind of feel like it shouldn't matter what's on the cover of a magazine. In all honest, most magazines are pretty much one giant advertisement for thousands of products. It's sad, but true. And if it helps them sell at this point, good. Let them get back on their feet.

- So French Elle decided to put stars who aren't wearing any makeup on the cover of their April issue. Or so they claim. Yes, the women look a little tired, but I don't really notice any blemishes or anything. I don't think they're makeupless at all. That's just my opinion though. I like this guy's opinion, too. You ought to check it out.

- I've already posted about the whole 55-year-old intern thing, but it still makes me want to throw up a little. They actually set up an Executive Internship Program. I think I just died inside a little.

- Jossip folded today. Wait, I mean "it's on hiatus."

- My thoughts and prayers go out to Roxana Saberi and her family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ASME is right to speak out against cover ads. If editorial starts being tainted by advertisers in a publication, then how do we know if we can trust what we read? I would never read a magazine that is written by advertisers ... Blurring the line (like Parent & Child, Esquire, and other mags have been doing lately) is a short-term sales solution that will cause long-term problems--readers will lose trust. Just my humble opinion. ;)

PS. Thanks for the RT

Pie said...

Just curious, but how do you feel about reading fashion spreads or pages filled with products? Do you feel those blur the lines between advertisements and editorial? I agree that advertisers shouldn't write the magazine hypothetically, but I feel like they've been doing it for a while. I guess I feel that magazines have been on a slippery slope a lot longer than ASME has been calling them out. I'm not really sure what I think the best solution would be though.

PS: No prob for the RT. I've been waiting for proof that DC is the new NY, and you and Vogue provided it!