Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Cold Hard Truth

I just finished dinner, so instead of actually having dessert, I'm going to blog about it. We'll see how long I'll make it before I crave some! Plus, it's getting warmer. So it's only fair to catch you up on some favorite frozen desserts.

If you've gone grocery shopping, you've probably noticed that prices have gone up and container sizes have shrunk. Well! Such is not the case for Ben & Jerry's, thank goodness. A pint is and always will be a pint! Here's part of the e-mail they sent to The Consumerist:

"One of our competitors (think funny sounding European name) recently announced they will be downsizing their pints from 16 to 14 ounces to cover increased ingredient & manufacturing costs and help improve their bottom line. At Ben & Jerry's we think downsizing pints is downright wrong. We understand that in today's hard economic times businesses are feeling the pinch. We also understand that many of you are also feeling the same, & think now more than ever you deserve your full pint of ice cream."

Unfortunately, some ice cream chains are not doing their best to help people in tight places. And by some ice cream chains, I mean Dairy Queen. According to WalletPop, Dairy Queen has started charging 40 cents each for whipped cream and nuts on a sundae. See, I love DQ and I know my family does, too. But adding extra charges for things that BELONG on a sundae? Bad form. Dear DQ, please please please leave the Blizzards and Buster Bars alone. Thanks.

No fear though. If you're truly in a sundae fix and don't feel like paying extra for anything, do I have a deal for you. GET TWO SUNDAES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE with this coupon at Baskin-Robbins! Hurry though; it expires in 10 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah, this post is so true! I remember a few months back when Edy's downsized their containers but didn't make sure all the old sizes were gone first. Such a sad site - a back row of big containers and a front row of small ones. My mom thought it was such a tacky move she doesn't buy Edy's anymore unless it's a 2-for-1 deal.

I hadn't heard about DQ though - that is bad form.

Hope you survive your ice cream craving, at least until morning :-)

Pie said...

Well I made it through the ice cream craving. Sadly I had to use Girl Scout Cookies as a replacement.

It's so sad that companies are shrinking their packaging. Makes you wonder what will happen next.

I suggest your mom go with Ben & Jerry's. At least they care!