Monday, March 30, 2009

Media-Go-Round: 3/24-3/30

So after a discussion with a friend, I've decided to stop my weekly "Celebritized" roundups because most people do already know about celebrity news that interests them. Have a different opinion? Let me know.

But I'm continuing my media news roundups because I find it important for people to know what's happening in the media. Although, I'm going to try to add a bit more commentary.

- This week's folding announcements include Blender magazine and Ann Arbor News, with layoffs here and here and here and here and here. The sad part is that I probably didn't even catch them all. With the slow death of newspapers and magazines, you have to wonder what will happen to journalism as we know it. It's an exciting time to be an already established journalist, but as a journalist fresh out of school with no job prospects? Not so much.

- Hachette Filipacci is selling off titles. To be honest, I haven't seen much positivity when it comes to sold titles. They're like the red-headed stepchildren of whoever buys them. Best of luck with that.

- Obama skipped out on important newspapers during his news conference. Instead of taking questions from the NYT, WaPo, WSJ or USAT, he took questions from other sources. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's good that he recognized other news sources, but at the same time, those major titles are read by people all over the country. Newspapers are also dying, so wouldn't it be helpful to have the president's support in at least answering to them? Aren't they the watchdogs of the government?

- Your favorite magazine fold? No fears; make your own. Hewlitt-Packard is offering a new Web service, MagCloud, which allows anyone to create their own magazine and print it at 20 cents a page. It's more for people who want a magazine about a favorite hobby or very niche-esque things. I'm not really sure how I feel about it though. Would you make your own magazine?

- Freelancing is becoming essential for most journalists, but you have to beware of the one's that don't pay well. I can't believe SELF is on there though. It takes time for the paperwork to go through and all, but they pay! General shadiness? I don't believe it.

- Barbara Walters might retire?? She's a pretty amazing woman at 79 years old. I still want to read her autobiography.

- This is starting to become a frequently seen thing--ads on the cover of magazines. The latest victim? ESPN The Magazine. To be honest, at this point, if it saves magazines, I'm all for it. It's on the cover of the magazine. Now if it were an advertorial inside a national magazine, I might get a little more upset.

2 comments:

Cookie said...

Well, in regards to the "make your own magazine" program... do you remember the 'Zine fad that went around right around the time we were 12 or so? Interesting that the fad is coming back now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zines

Pie said...

Yeah, that's pretty much what the "make your own magazine" deal is being referred to.

I wonder what journalism will look like in the next 10 years.